Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Did you pay attention in history class?

"In order for Crusoe to obtain eight fish in half the time, he must spend all of his time collecting _______."


a.fish
b.bananas
c.coconuts
d.an alternative product

The answer? Drum Roll Please.......



c. coconuts

That's right. Don't try to understand it, just accept it. At least, that's what I told the teacher whose students were asked this question on one their HISTORY tests. Apparently, the teacher didn't think this question was relevant. She couldn't figure out why it would be on the history test. She wanted me to change it. I couldn't do it. Change a gem like this? I would be doing every history student taking the course a disservice if I changed the question.

It's a darn good thing I was hired to rewrite the history courses 6 months ago and have, instead, spent the last 6 months doing everything under the sun except rewrite the history courses. If I'd actually been able to rewrite the history course, like I was hired to do, I might never have seen this question. And then where would I be? Where would we all be?

7 comments:

McEuens said...

I don't really know what to say to this. Except maybe, "Huh?" But I'm glad to see you're still blogging. :) Come visit me!

The Nelsen Family: said...

Yikes, I obviously didn't pay enough attention...

And I agree with Maren, I too am glad you're still blogging. :)

Brian and Kelsey said...

Im sure if I had world history background I could answer the question. But I can see how it relevent. I'm glad you blogged again.

BloggingBills said...

Why Crusoe? Am I missing something? What does that have to do with history?

Thanks for blogging, but I'm still confused. I guess we don't learn that stuff in first grade.

MA

Erin said...

Mother,Mother, Mother. It is NOT about CRUSOE. It's about the FISH and the COCONUTS. Did you not READ the question? Try again.

Kathleen said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused!

Morgan Hagey said...

I totally knew it was coconuts, I mean, it's like TOTALLY obvious. But, I am a friggin' genius.