Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Join the Movement!

So. A while back, when I lived in Hades Phoenix, I realized that my committment to jeans as the only acceptable "bottom" (except at church and other dressy occassions) was going to get me killed. See, it's a million degrees in Hades Phoenix and jeans are not known for being hot-weather attire. I was melting. Slowly, but surely, I was going to die of heat stroke if I didn't do something drastic. Problem is, I have a deep, abiding and immoveable loathing for shorts and capri pants. Like, I cannot even describe to you how much I hate them. The fire of a thousand suns doesn't even come close to describing my loathing. Clearly, I had a dilemma. Around this very same time I randomly happened across a post from a person much more fashionable and (clearly) intelligent than I advocating the return of the "casual skirt". This, I thought, was a movement I could get behind. Skirts are not hideous like shorts and capri pants (disclaimer: I know many people who wear shorts and capri pants and do not look hideous. I am not one of them. I have pictures to prove this. I will not be sharing.) Skirts are significantly cooler than jeans. Skirts can easily be made at home (remember my aversion to shopping? It extends to all clothing types, including skirts). I was going to JOIN THE MOVEMENT.

I bought fabric.

I bought patterns.

I got pregnant.

Annnnnnnnndddddddddddddd, all I wanted to do was lay around on my couch moaning about how tired I was and how much I hated Hades Phoenix and how hot it was ALL. THE. TIME. My motivation to sew was quickly replaced by a much stronger desire to eat ice cream. So. The skirts were never made.

Fast forward about 18 months. Baby is here. It is now getting hot in Utah (nothing like Hades Phoenix, but hot enough to question my return to the jean.). I'm about to move to Alabama. It was 98 degrees in Alabama today. I was sweating just thinking about that. And, in what has to be kismet, my sister has ALSO decided to join the casual skirt movement and has been sewing up a storm, making impossibly cute skirts (with pockets!). So, when she offered to take the fabric I had previously purchased and make a skirt for me, I did the happy dance! Happy DANCE! Step one in my grand plan to neither melt nor ever purchase shorts EVER AGAIN is underway.

THEN-imagine my jubliation when a store which shall not be named just down the street from me started selling knee length skirts for reasonable prices. Next to the bananas! NO TRIPS TO THE MALL, people. NO TRIPS TO THE MALL. It's like the universe was smiling on my decision to join the casual skirt movement. So, I actually purchased a skirt (with pockets!) and love it. I am on a roll, internet people!


Today, skirts! Tomorrow, THE WORLD.

5 comments:

mabills said...

Brilliant, Erin! I too discovered the benefit of skirt-wearing in the summer after moving to NC 20+ years ago. It only took a bit of casual observation to learn the cool secret of the Southern ladies.
M.A.

McEuens said...

I went to a summer BBQ a few weeks ago at which a couple of women were wearing casual skirts and I was like, "Hey, why don't I wear skirts like that? They're cute and way cooler (temperature-wise, at least) than pants and even some capris/shorts." So then shortly after that Scott and I went to NYC for a couple of days and I totally brought along my only semi-casual skirt. So comfy. I am now in need of more skirts. Too bad I don't have a nice sister to make me one. Or the sewing ability to make myself one. Oh, and by the way (you know, as long as I'm writing the world's longest comment), the first time I read this post I thought you were saying you were pregnant now. Because, you know, I'm that smart.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Kwilts said...

Good thinking Erin. I'm not a capri or short person either but all summer in Atlanta I wear skirts and casual dresses. Cotton is still king for the summer time at least!

BloggingBills said...

I totally agree. I wear skirts all the time to work in the summer (it's hot!) So today I bought a swishy skirt. To wear as the principal, ya know.