Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dear JoAnne Fabric and Crafts:

****Disclaimer: The following memo may be 1)completely boring and 2)completely incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't sew regularly. I apologize in advance. Feel free to return to your regularly scheduled activities.****

I am so over you. Seriously. I have often questioned the legitimacy of your "sales" and the quality of your products, but this was the last straw. I would like to know how it is possible that, out of 30 (yes, 30)quarter flats purchased from your store, exactly 10 are use-able? Really, I'd like to hear an explanation, because this is ridiculous. I would think that a store that purports to be a "fabric" retailer would understand that it should not use permanent adhesive to hold said quarter flats together. And yet, I just spent an inordinate amount of time trying to peel, scrape, rub and wash the adhesive off the fabric. While doing so, I discovered that the fabric itself was of such low quality that even the gentlest rubbing and washing left holes. Really? I mean, I didn't expect the highest quality fabric to begin with, but this is beyond absurd.
I recently resolved to frequent my LQS and knitting boutique more regularly because, even though their prices are slightly more expensive, I want to support local businesses. This incident only furthers my resolve. Now, I am also confident that the quality of the products far exceeds yours and that I will actually be able to use the items I purchased.
In short, I cannot imagine a reason for me to return to your store. Goodbye forever.
With extreme annoyance,
Erin

5 comments:

Morgan Hagey said...

Oh, I have had similar issues, so I hear you. I LOVE local fabric shops, (like the one at Gardner Village) LOVE! Always more money and ALWAYS way better selection and quality. The BEST ever was this little quilt shop on some random Highway in Manhattan Ks. Oh how I loved it! FANTASTIC!

BloggingBills said...

I totally hear you although the day we spent together there with fake champagne and coloring books was the best. But it was the company. My big argument with them is that their 'sales' of .0045% on an item preclude you from using the 50% off coupon I get mailed every few weeks. Unless you are buying some obscure thing that never goes on sale, it's not possible to use the coupons.
Sigh.

MA

Erin said...

I have 2 favorite quilt stores; one in Utah and one here (although there are quite a few great ones in both cities). In Utah, I love,love,love Quilts Etc...so amazing. And here,I go to Mulqueen Sewing Centers;it's where I bought my sewing machine and they are so fabulous. So. I will be going there more frequently now. I haven't found a great store for yarn, but I am actively looking because BLECH on JoAnne's. BLECH I say.
And, Mom, it was super fun. I hate that about their "sales"; just annoys the bejebers out of me. Rant over. Mostly.

Moo said...

Amen! Amazingly, our fabric store here in little old Delta, UT has high quality fabric & a fabulous selection. JoAnn's quilting selection stinks! All you can find is prints with flowers.

Megan,
Friend of Alice & reader of your family's blog!

Watts said...

I could spend an entire day in a fabric shop. But hey if you ever want, I have tons of fabric... New fabric, and it is the boutique kind. So next time you are in Utah give me a call, and you really should come take a look and catch up. Although, if you fly, the extra suite case fee may kill ya!