Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dear Little Phelbotomist Girl,

When I said "It won't work to use the vein in my right arm," I was not just being difficult. Laughing and saying "Oh, it'll be fine!" is not going to make it actually be fine. Many, many people (much more experienced than you, judging by the fact that you looked to be approximately 10 years old) have attempted to draw blood from my right arm and have failed miserably. I was sharing this information so I could avoid being stuck multiple times in both arms, as usually happens because people insist on trying my right arm first. Thus, when you poked my right arm anyway and the vein collapsed it took every ounce of my self restraint not to say "I told you so."  I tried hard to disguise my frustration and annoyance, but seriously. I warned you. Twice. And now my arms are bruised and sore and it is all your fault. So, thanks for that. Next time, listen to me.

Sincerely,
Erin

4 comments:

BloggingBills said...

I hear you baby. It's one of the benefits of having a brain, but no medical degree of any kind. We know nothing.
MA

Lindsey said...

I hope your can convince the person that will give you your IV in the hospital of that!

Erin said...

Lindsey; that's an excellent point and yet another reason I am not delivering in a hospital...me and needles of any kind have an adversarial relationship...

McEuens said...

Oooh, are you doing a home birth or a birth center?