Thursday, December 11, 2008

Wanted: Personal Shopper

Anyone who knows me at all knows that clothes shopping+Erin=disaster of epic proportions. I really,really dislike shopping for clothes. Several of you, dear readers, have probably been shopping with me and have discovered that I turn into Ogre Erin when I am forced to shop for clothes. So, I just don't do it. Which means I rely on others to shop for me. I'll wear pretty much anything that fits, so gifts of clothes have basically made up my wardrobe for years. Tragically, clothes wear out, and so, occassionally, I am forced to suck it up and shop. When this dreaded event happens, it follows a very clear pattern:
1. Enter store
2. Search out a display of solid color, button down shirts
3. Select 2 or 3 in the appropriate size, but different colors
4. Purchase

If I need something other than a shirt, I am basically paralyzed. Really. Example: I have 2 pairs of pants, one was a gift from my mother and one I've had for 5 years. I don't know what I'll do if one is ruined. I've tried to buy more pants, but about 5 minutes into the experience I give up. I don't even know where to start.

So, you can see why I have been in the market for a professional shopper for most of my adult life. Tragically, I have found that personal shoppers are EXPENSIVE and I don't have any money. So, the personal shopper dream had to go on the shelf, along with being a size 6 and 5'11'. Until today. Today the dream came true.

As, I have mentioned before, I work with the nicest people in the world. Funny and nice. One, the same one who thought I was a polygamist, noticed my 'uniform' of solid shirt and jeans the other day. Being something of a fashionista, she just couldn't understand my aversion to shopping. She is convinced that she can teach me how to shop and, this is the kicker, ACTUALLY ENJOY IT. She is going to take me shopping; my warnings about Ogre Erin have not swayed her. Not even in the slightest. Here are the rules for our shopping expedition, as set by Co-worker/Personal Shopper:

1. I have to actually try stuff on.
2. I am not allowed to complain.
3. I must believe Co-worker/Personal Shopper friend when she says something looks good.
4 I am not allowed to complain.
5. I must buy 1 outfit.

I tried to convince her to just go to the store and buy the clothes; I'd pay her for them and a give her cookies for her time. She launched into some, "If you give a man a fish..." shpeal.

And, so, I am about to get my very own What Not to Wear experience. I hope we can still be friends afterward...

4 comments:

Morgan Hagey said...

Hmmmm...

I have been shopping with you many times.

It's not super fun.

I wonder... maybe you'll be nicer because you're not related to her...

Be on your best behavior.

Love you.

And remember, I have a Christmas shirt for you. You can skip shopping and wear it every day.

Brian and Kelsey said...

Well that is great! I hope you have fun. I have been shopping with you so I know how it can be a...challenge.

BloggingBills said...

You;ll notice that one of your two pair of pants was purchased by me. I have a theory, it's called genetics.

You've inherited your aversion to shopping in a store from me. (All those years of 'shopping in the boxes' in the basement.

SO I have 2 initials and 1 word for you if you like simple, stylish adult clothes that don't look like they will fall apart in the first wash and don't make you look like you're trying to be 13.

LL Bean.

Button down shirts, slacks and jeans, jackets, sweaters and other simple clothes. ONce you find your size, you stick with it and voila! you always look good.

Okay, you look good anyway, but with much less grumpiness.

Get $10 in coupons when you buy $50 in clothes.

What a deal!
MA

Alisa said...

How fun! I was gonna say it sounds just like WNTW. Have fun! It makes me want to go shopping. As soon as this baby weight comes off....Oh, and your blog is way cute!