Thursday, April 30, 2009

Further proof that my place of employment is a little insane...

So. At work. There's this guy. We shall call him George. George is rather hilarious. George is always making jokes. Everyone, I mean EVERYONE, at work knows and understands this. Remember this fact. It becomes important a little later.

Also at work, we have a very nice, very thorough HR lady. VERY thorough. Today, she emailed us all a copy of the company's newly minted 'Pandemic Prevention Program'. The entire program consists of...wait for it...providing each cubicle with tissues and hand sanitizer. I am not joking. I wish I was.

Enter George. George who cannot help but make jokes. I think it is a compulsion. George says, 'I've been sneezing all day! I think I may have the swine flu!'. Next thing we know, very thorough HR lady has SENT HIM HOME.

That's right folks. She sent him home. Because he said he sneezed. I'm not even sure he really sneezed. She didn't even give him a chance to use the hand sanitizer OR the tissues. So much for our "Pandemic Prevention Program"

I immediately scrapped all plans to loudly cough and then say "Gee I'm sure glad I used my hand sanitizer today" while walking past her cubical.

7 comments:

The Nelsen Family: said...

Hahahaha. Wow. You've gotta love those HR people. I feel like I can say that, I'm married to one :). Don't go getting swine flu Erin!

Morgan Hagey said...

Derek's co-worker/supervisor was out sick yesterday and when she called to check in Derek asked if she'd recently been to Mexico. That was a good joke and no one got all weird about tissues... your job is weird.

BloggingBills said...

Very Funny! We had a Whooping Cough warning at school last month. Needless to say when the counseling center was full of people we all started coughing (while trying not to laugh.) Bingo, the office cleared out pretty fast! We laughed ourselves silly! Love to all
-dad

AMANDAM said...

We seem to have a similar HR/safety department around here. They have started a weekly safety and/or security bulletin with concerns, tips, etc. that is placed all around the building. This week's bulletin was devoted to swine flu. It contained helpful advice like, "wash your hands," "stay home when you are sick," and "try not to let anyone sneeze or cough on you." They haven't handed out hand sanitizer yet (though they have placed it in the emergency kits and in the bathrooms)

Brian and Kelsey said...

Hey in response to your comment... YES we should try to coordinate a camping excursion. Are you moving or staying in AZ?

BloggingBills said...

Well the world needs to take a large chill pill. The swine flu has killed less people than the regular flu this year. The swine flu is actually less deadly seeing how people who have come in contact with the sick individuals who have died in the U.S. are still alive and kicking. So I would like to tell all to take the tissues and hand sanitizer and shove it in a not so pleasant part of the human anatomy. Thank you very much for your time
-Caleb

BloggingBills said...

correction, I would like to tell all those panicking to shove the hand sanitizer and tissues...sorry for the miss communication.
-Caleb