Sunday, November 9, 2008

In Which Erin's Faith In Humanity is Restored

As a teacher, I have long been dismayed by the rudeness of today's youth. For reasons I do not understand, kids are just rude! They are rude to each other, they are rude to their parents and teachers, they are even rude to complete strangers. I don't understand. I know many children who are not rude or disrespectful;but I have observed that many more little people than can possibly be healthy for society are rude. So, I have had much fear for the future of humanity. If kids are growing up in a world that permits that kind of rudeness, what is the world going to be like when they are in charge!? Shudder. BUT, this week, my faith in the future of the human race was (at least temporarily) restored. One tiny person, with very large ears, outside an Arizona convenience store, restored hope for the future.
I was at the convenience store purchasing a very large, caffeinated drink-it's how I survive my job. As I got my very large, caffeinated drink, I noticed a very small boy, with very large ears, following his mother around the store. He touched nothing. He did not demand candy. He did not throw a fit of any kind (in contrast to the several other children also in the store). He did remind his mother that school started at 8:00. Too cute. Anyway, I got my drink. I paid for my drink and I found myself following this boy and his mother out the door. Unfortunately, the door was of the swinging variety and the very small boy did not hold it open and it swung back and nearly decapitated me. I heard small boy's mother say "Honey, you need to make sure you hold the door for people!" (Points to mom!) As I came out the door and walked to my car, small boy with large ears came running over and said:
"I'm thorry! My mom thaid I thould have held the door!" (he had a lisp! So. Cute.).As he skipped back to mom, I asked, "Can I keep you?"
Okay, I didn't really say that, but I wanted too. What a sweetheart. It made my day!

4 comments:

Morgan Hagey said...

That is SO cute!

Brian and Kelsey said...

That is really cute.

Brian and Kelsey said...

In response to your comment about me being sick alot.. I work with little kids who bring every virus that is known to man. I have not gotten a flu shot yet because there is no money for a flu shot. That is why I have been sick lately. There are 3 or 4 of us at work who have been sick.

BloggingBills said...

What a great story. Thnks for sharing. Since I work with High school kids all day it's nice to hear that at least a few of the rising generation are just plain cute! Much Love,
-D