Sunday, January 27, 2008

The debate from H---

This weekend my kids competed in a very large, invitational debate tournament at a local high school. It did not go well. I felt so bad for them! We had a pretty good night on Friday and then found out on Saturday that the debaters had each only won one of their rounds. Tragic. They were so sure they had done well. Then, the hellishness began on Saturday. The day began with 2 of the debaters calling to tell me they would not be coming because they were throwing up. We arrived at the school and I promptly fell off the stupid stairs and twisted my ankle. It swelled up like a balloon and is now a very lovely black and blue color. Yippee. Then, as I was sitting in my invalid state, I had three more debaters call me and tell me they were throwing up. Gross. I eventually sent 4 debaters home from the tournament. Poor things. As I left one more kid, from another team, began throwing up. In a trash can. In front of about 400 debaters. It was very distressing for him. Anyway-it wasn't the greatest weekend, but all the kids were surprisingly upbeat about it. They even offered to steal a wheelchair for me. Now that's love! :-)

5 comments:

Morgan Hagey said...

Um, I'm sorry, but you're a dork. How did you fall down the stairs? Was it A LOT of stairs?

Erin said...

Technically, it was only ONE stair, but I am a total klutz. I lost my balance as I stepped onto a landing. My poor ankle got all crunched. Good thing there was a wall I fell into, otherwise I would have fallen all the way down the rest of the stairs. It is true. I am a dork. Who trips over nothing, while wearing TENNIS SHOES?? Only me.

McEuens said...

Um, to make you feel better, I will remind you of how I pulled a muscle in my foot by stepping off of a curb (while wearing tennis shoes) in Spain and then spent the next week crutches. Upon discovery, you and Morgan called me gimp for a while. Remember? Feel better now? Still waiting for your call... Are you punishing me for taking so long to call you back and not responding to your email? I know, I know. I am a bad friend. I'm sorry. Do you forgive me now?

Morgan Hagey said...

HAHA! Yes, Maren, well, if it weren't for the "crutches" we never would have had to call you a gimp. The "special" crutches were just too much...

Emily said...

Holy crap! Now that's what I call eventful!