Thursday, March 13, 2008

Things I do not understand...

I think that I am a reasonably intelligent person, but occasionally I find myself confronted with things that, no matter how hard I try, I simply do not understand. Today I have encountered many of these unponderables. For example:
I don't understand bumper stickers-they are the equivalent of a tattoo for your car. I saw an "Alan Keyes for President" sticker today and thought 'Now, don't you feel foolish? The man has demonstrated, in the years since running for president, that he is a crazy person. You look like you want a crazy person to be president. This could have been avoided if you had not stuck a permanent reminder of your temporary insanity on your car." Tragic.
I don't understand the apparent inability of teenage drivers (and others) to use their turn signals. Do they think that drivers around them have telepathic powers and can discern the upcoming movements of their car? One of these days, there is going to be a 20 car pile-up in the parking lot of my school and I am sure it will have started because someone failed to use his or her turn signal.
I don't understand why someone would ever, for any reason, purchase a beer can shaped hat. These are for sale at a local store and it is clear, from the number of beer hats on the shelf, that someone, somewhere has bought one. Actually, several someones. Why? Where would you ever wear a beer can shaped hat? What were you thinking?
I don't understand what the girls at my school are thinking when they wear sweatpants with words on the backside. Do you really want people reading your rear-end? Why not just attach a blinking light to your bum? Where was your mother when you left the house this morning?
I do not understand the term "organic food." Is not all food, by definition, organic? If it wasn't organic, it wouldn't be edible. Right? So, isn't the term redundant? Not only that, but it just sounds silly. Everytime I hear someone talk about 'organic' food I want to interupt and say "As opposed to what? Plastic food?!"
I do not understand the abuse of the word "like." I counted 24 'likes' during one conversation with a student today. Can they not hear themselves? Do they not know that they do not make any sense? I feel bad for "like." Such abuse.

If anyone can explain these things to me, I would very much appreciate it.

3 comments:

The Nelsen Family: said...

Haha!

I have no explanations for the stupidity of humans, but I did find the post amusing.

Emily said...

This is Emily, Kara's old roommate. I don't know if I have posted on your blog yet, which means you probably don't know that I read it. Or maybe I did. I forget. Anyway, I can at least explain one of the seeming oddities: organic food (especially since that and related terms were just defined in one of my food magazines... how convenient). Organic food is food grown without the use of pesticides, growth hormones, synthetic fertilizer, etc. So an organic apple would have been grown only using organic materials, rather than chemicals used in the production of almost everything we eat. Organic meat comes from animals not given antibiotics or growth hormones. I think usually it also means the animals ate organic feed, but I'm not sure about that.

So really, while you would THINK that everything we eat is organic (vs. plastic, as you said), there are so many NOT organic things used in the production of most food that now there's a separate label for things that really are organic. Apparently USDA organic only verifies that it's 95% organic or something, incidentally. Like a packaged product could use 5% non organic things and still say it's organic.

Whether eating organic food is really a benefit to you or not is a completely separate discussion, and it's all anyone's own choice. Personally, I think that whatever you can do to keep your body healthy is great, however you choose to do that.

The rest of your questions... I have no idea. :)

Lindsey said...

Eric and I can't stand bumper stickers either!! We think they are the tackiest things. Why would you want to ruin your car with a sticker on the back? Do they think it makes the car look BETTER? :)